The Salesforce Sales Cloud in cooperation with the Cognigy Salesforce CRM Extension provides the maintenance of Contacts, Accounts, Events, Products, and more. This tutorial will explain how to integrate an organization's Salesforce instance to a Cognigy.AI virtual agent and create, update or delete an entity in Salesforce.
Table of Contents
- Install the Salesforce CRM Extension
- Create a Salesforce Connection
- Create a new Contact (Entity) in Salesforce
- Retrieve a Contact (Entity) from Salesforce
Install the Salesforce CRM Extension
The first step is to install the required integration. In this case, a so-called Extension is uploaded to Cognigy.AI. Thus, open the Extensions Library in another tab and download the Salesforce CRM Extension by clicking on the Download button. Now follow this installation guide and upload the Extension to Cognigy, where it will be displayed as the following:
Congrats! The installation of the Extension is finished!
Create a Salesforce Connection
In this step, a so-called Connection will be created. If one, in Cognigy.AI, clicks on the previously uploaded Extension, the following details can be observed:
The red-marked part in the above figure shows, that there is a Connection required. Therefore, it needs to be created and filled with the Salesforce instance information. In order to do so, one initial Salesforce Flow Node needs to be added to a Flow:
- Create a new Flow in Cognigy.AI
- Inside of the Flow Chart, click on + and navigate to the Salesforce Extension:
- For example, add the Create Entity Flow Node by clicking on it:
- In order to edit the Flow Node and create the Connection, please click on it. An Edit Node menu will be opened on the right side of the screen:
- Right next to the Connection field (the first one at the top), one needs to click on the + button. The Connection menu will be opened at the center of the screen:
- Insert the related Salesforce instance credentials/information of the organization to the fields.
- Click on the Create button
Create a new Contact (Entity) in Salesforce
As an example, a new Contact can be created using this Extension within a chat conversation. In the end, the result will be visible in the Contacts table:
The already added Create Entity Flow Node can be used for this, while two Question Nodes can be added as well in order to ask for the first and last name:
As the result, a new contact is created and Salesforce returned a data payload that could be used for further steps:
The information above is stored in the Input or Context object, based on the configuration in the Create Entity Node:
One could now use Cognigy Script and extract necessary values from this dynamic data response.
Retrieve a Contact (Entity) from Salesforce
After creating the new entity, it might be interesting to directly display the result and send a dynamic contact information message to the user. This could look similar to this:
Similar to the Create Entity Flow Node, the Retrieve Entity Node stores the information in the preferred origin. In order to actually get the details of an entity from Salesforce, the Entity ID, in this case the Contact ID, needs to be provided:
Next to the default configuration, that uses Cognigy Script for extracting the ID of the newly created contact, one could insert the ID as a fixed value as well:
Next to the two presented Flow Nodes, the used Extensions consists of more interesting functions that could help to get the best out of the Salesforce integration: